Sunday, February 28, 2010

Early to Bed, Early to Rise...

I'm a night person. I've been a night person for as long as I can remember. There is no greater joy to me than to stay up late and to sleep until noon. Maybe I'm getting old, but things are beginning to change for me.

For the past 4 weeks, I have been getting up most weekday mornings (ok, sometimes I need my beauty sleep) at 5:30 and heading to the gym. My daughter, Lauren, has begun joining me, too! Bonus!

I confess I have even grown to love it and look forward to those early mornings. I still don't like getting up in the dark or heading out in the cold, but those workouts work wonders for my psyche, not to mention my derriere! (Is that how you spell it?)

The best part of getting up to work out in the early mornings is that it doesn't take time away from my family (I used to go to the gym in the evenings when I went) and I don't have any excuses for not going. It's not like I have appointments to attend at that hour of the day.

It took a lot of motivation and some thinking outside of my typical comfort zone to get started. Now, it's just a given.

2 comments:

diane said...

Bette,

Good for you! It feels great to achieve our goals, doesn't it?

I am always amazed at how the words and wisdom you teach about toddlers, often applies to my teens....so I still read your newsletter, and smile often!

Bette Alkazian said...

Thank you, Diane! Yes, it feels great. I'm glad my words still apply to your situation. I do try to appeal to as many people as I can with a broad range of kids' ages. Take good care! Bette