Whew! I needed to get that out! My goal every day when I wake up is to teach parents skills in raising their kids that those kids will then learn from and become amazing adults as a result.
Here are a few of my favorite tools that can be used instead of spanking:
- Removal from the situation
- Loss of privileges when they show they cannot handle the responsibility that goes along with those privileges
- Lead them by the shoulders without a word to remind them of the toys they didn't pick up
- "Uh oh!" - when we need to remind them to use nicer words
- "Respectful ignoring" so we don't encourage bad behavior
- "Let me know when you're ready" - when they're not listening
- Use humor to diffuse a tense situation rather than escalating it
- Give them the words to say when they don't know how to say something respectfully
- ...and so many more!
Make a point to arm yourselves with as many parenting tools as possible so as to put spanking 1,000th on your list or remove it from your list altogether!!! Remember, your kids are watching and taking notes at all times!!!