Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bittersweet sick days

Winter is definitely here. Ok, I admit that I have a lot of nerve considering the weather in Southern California "winter weather", but for this native Californian, it's cold! Frost on my car window and temperatures in the 30's in the morning qualifies as cold to me! Ok, so with the cold weather come colds and flu. My youngest daughter has been home with a dreadful cough for three days now.

She's not that sick, just sounds terrible. She's not demanding much of my nursing skills (lucky for her), she's just enjoying staying home and being in pj's all day!

There is a bittersweet aspect to her being sick, I'm ashamed to say. Cancelling all of my appointments, delaying my errands, even being in denial of the fact that Hanukkah starts in two days, gives me a much needed opportunity to take care of some business that would never have made it to the top of my priority list.

The point I'm trying to make is that I would never wish for my kids to be sick, but there is a silver lining to this cloud and that is: time together (we are both sitting on my bed together with laptops on our laps), quieting the chaos of daily life and getting some of those nagging "to do's" done.

Ahhh...I think I'll have another cup of coffee!

No comments: