Saturday, November 6, 2010

I Wish Thanksgiving was a Month-Long!

November has become my favorite month of the year.  The weather is beginning to cool, the leaves are changing color, the breeze is blowing and Thanksgiving is only a matter of days away.  I've always thought that Thanksgiving gets a raw deal.  It's sandwiched between the spooky and sugary days of Halloween and the indulgent, jolly days of Christmas and Hanukkah. 

From my perspective, Thanksgiving is the best holiday of all.  Ok, I love the turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie eating that lasts for days and I love the family time of being with relatives from far and near, but truthfully, those aren't my favorite parts of Thanksgiving. 

Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks; being grateful and expressing it! How cool is that? While we spend a lot of time giving gifts and receiving gifts all year long, how wonderful to have a day that's just about being thankful for what we already have!  Here are some rituals that I love to do with my family around Thanksgiving!
  • I post gratitude quotes all around my house like decorations
  • I have a plain white tablecloth on the coffee table along with colored Sharpies and everyone who comes for Thankgiving must write the things for which they are thankful with their name and the date. This has turned out to be a very precious ritual as we have lost some dear family members and going back and reading what they wrote in years past is comforting.
  • Use past years' gratitude tablecloths as this year's food table cloth.  (Using a plastic cover, of course)  It's colorful and filled with special meaning for us all!
  • Gratitude is a common topic of discussion this month.  We talk about that for which we are grateful and remember how lucky we really are.  (This is a great practice for any time of year!)
I encourage every family to create their own Thanksgiving rituals! Giving some real time and attention to Thanksgiving communicates to our kids that we believe in its importance.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends!

Wishing you balance,

Bette

2 comments:

Daria said...

Love the idea about the white tablecloth. Once we say our gratitude things every year,it's lost among the leftovers. What a wonderful memory to cherish.

Bette Alkazian said...

Daria, I'm glad you like the idea. I've been doing it for years and use multi-colored Sharpies so it's pretty to look at, too! Let me know how it goes! Happy Thanksgiving!