Monday, March 30, 2009

Where has the time gone?

I'm feeling rather nostalgic today as I prepare to go visit two colleges this week with my oldest daughter, Lauren. Where did the time go? Isn't she still in preschool? Who is this young woman living in my house? In my mind, I'm still the mother of little ones. I struggle to wrap my brain around the fact that my daughter is planning to go away to college in merely 5 months!! Is she crazy? Doesn't she still need me? What if she gets sick? What if she's scared? In my mind, I'm still her Mommy and she's still my little girl. I guess I'll have to shift that picture in the coming months.

To those of you whose kids are still little, squeeze them a little extra today...instead of getting angry quickly, cherish the cuteness of their little rebellion, stop what you're doing more often and just watch them play; just listen to them as they chatter away to themselves or sing the little songs that are stuck in their heads. ...and be sure not to blink! Before you know it, you'll be checking out colleges, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tonight my two year old daughter and I were sitting in our rocking chair for the ritual bedtime routine. She asked me to sing a song. I thought for a while and said, "I wish there were a song that expressed how much I love you because I love you SOOOO Much!" She paused and then started singing her own song. "I love you, I love you, Mommy cuddles me and nuzzles my nose. I love you, I love you....it went on and on and had the sweetest lyrics!!! I just melted. Is this the same little girl that will be a woman, going to college?? I can't believe it. Will she still sing songs about how much she loves me?

Terry Gibson said...

Between you and I crying as she grew, she did indeed grow up and all our crying didn't stop the process. She is going to have an amazing experience at college and although we will miss her terribly, this is right. This is good. And if I didn't sob everytime I thought about her leaving, it might even be fun. Loving her and you both dearly. The Safta